Monday, October 3, 2011

So here's something I learned today

That really made me stop and go "wait what?"

So we're in History class moving through the 1890's depression (which really sounds like our time right now: high unemployment, everyone watching the extravagances of the rich, wishing the government would do something, the government NOT doing something...) And we were talking about how the rich was still rich. Then the prof moves onto this ridiculous party the Vanderbilts had where their party favors were rubies, emeralds, and diamonds, and the prof just adds in "the Vanderbilts, who owned the titanic"

That completely blew my mind. I mean obviously someone had to be responsible for the ship and foot the bills but I always assumed it was a company who did that, like the White Star Line or something. But a freaking FAMILY owned that ship? I mean, if it hadn't sunk would it have been like their personal cruise ship or something? I know the Vanderbilts were ridiculously wealthy, but holy shit, thats insane!

No comments:

Post a Comment

drop me a line and save a kitten... or you know, make a fangirl happy.