Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dumbledore and Love

*I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I guess I want to put it out there. But, before I begin, I just want to say that while it's been on my mind for awhile I have not done more research besides what I remember. I think I have the facts straight, but let me know if there's something I'm missing or something thats been mis-stated.

So according to Albus Dumbledore, Love is the greatest thing of all. Harry's love saves him time and time again. Voldemort can't touch him at first because of it, after Dobby's death Harry can go past Voldemort's rage, Lily's love saved her son, and the whole of the wizarding world etc etc. In the books the examples are endless.
I don't disagree with this, but I was thinking about how its Albus who reveals this to us. And its Albus who we always look to when we think about how wonderful Love is. Its Albus who speaks about how powerful love is. But, how much does Albus really know of Love? I think that a part of Albus' fascination with the power of love has to do with the fact that he never really had it in his life. Not in the way that Harry has it, that the Weasleys have it, that Lupin and Tonks, or James and Lily had it.
He loved his family and they loved each other, but I think when Ariana was hurt their family was broken, and no one quite knew how to fix it. Albus' dad, in his grief, went on the offensive, his mother seems to have tried so hard to push it away that it seemed to never happen, and Albus turned to books and knowledge, instead of moving closer together this family moved further and further apart, leading all the way to Ariana's death and the almost completely severed ties of Albus and Aberforth.
After that, the only example of Love we recieve in Albus' life is Grindelwald. And I don't know if that was love or infatuation. If I remember correctly Grindelwald was supposed to exceptionally charismatic and we know he was powerful, and I think Albus may have been sucked in by that. I think Grindelwald's plan to take over the world appealed to the part in Albus that was still angry over what happened to his sister. I mean, i don't think the family ever had closure, so the wound was probably festering by then.
After that, after Albus and Grindelwald severed ties with each other I think Albus may have been shocked by what his feelings for Grindelwald had him considering. I think Albus is generally a good man, he's not Grindelwald, he's not Voldemort. He was just a young man still in pain. It took the death of his sister (who may have been the last honest example of love in Albus' life) to make him realize what he was doing. I think he's right: Love is powerful. But I think Albus has put the emotion on a pedastal too. I think he wanted something he had seen other people have, but something he didn't have. I think, he may have been scared too. Love can give the other person power over you, Grindelwald certainly may have used Albus' emotions against him. And Albus almost made a huge mistake. I don't think Albus ever let himself get close to another person again becuase he was scared of what he could be compelled to do.
I think Albus may have been a rather sad person sometimes. I think he wanted love but didn't want to get hurt again, and I think the idea may have scared him a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

drop me a line and save a kitten... or you know, make a fangirl happy.