Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hot Fun in the Summer TIme, We can do What we Want to

So yesterday. After I got back from my break, the manager thought that it was dying down enough to just send the remaining 3 hosts home as they hit their 5th hours instead of breaking them for lunch. Problem was that I still had a quote time and a wait for people coming in when, at 11 o'clock, the last host had to go home. The manager ended up having to help me seat parties, but since he couldn't stay the whole time, since he had manager stuff to do, like run the restaurant, I ended up having to deal with the whole greeting people as they walk in, paging people when a table was being cleaned, and seating them. Thankfully with some sporatic help from the manager and one of the servers, who's totally on my Hero list, I survived long enough for me to seat everyone on the waitlist by 11:45- 15 minutes before the restaurant closed. The best part of the crazy days when I have to bring my absolute best to the table, and sometimes even better then my best, is that at the end of the night the manager mentions to me that I was a huge part of the reason the night was a success!

It's really the only upside to having to close Friday nights, wake up 4.5 hrs later and go to work for 8 hrs...

After work today I almost went to Disneyland, but 1. I always go there, and 2. how could i not go to the beach when its perfect beach weather???

Plus Dland is still on Spring Break crowds so it would have been packed. So I changed out of my uniform and into some capris, a muscle tee, and my toms and I was off.

Despite the fact that at 5pm the weather was cooling down and the winds were a bit chillier the crowds were still going strong in Manhattan Beach, probably helped by the fact that there was a sidewalk sale going on, to say nothing of the incredible heat that the south bay had going on. Seriously, I stepped out of the restaurant at like 9:30 in the morning and it felt like the middle of July!

So there I was at the beach. Gorgeous of course. All the shops were busy, the restaurants were full, and the beach was full of people- the college students playing vollyball, young kids checking out the aquarium at the end of the pier, people on bogie boards and surfboards waiting for that perfect wave, families and old men fishing, couples holding hands, friend shrieking as they kicked water at their friends, everyone enjoying this seemingly perfect day. And it was perfect.

To me, when people say LA or SoCal I don't think of the Hollywood sign, or movie stars, shopping on rodeo drive. It has nothing to do with movie premieres and the oscars, or club hopping and the night life. LA is going to a dodger game in the middle of summer, hiking PV, driving up to Malibu in search of watering holes, but most important: LA is the beach. It's this:




2 comments:

  1. That looks so pretty!!
    For me LA or SoCal means spending time with my family, going to the parl and ride bikes, watching movies while snacking veggies with my healthy cousin, or going through the snack cabinet with my other cousins.
    Grate, now I miss my cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, couldn't have said it better meself <3

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line and save a kitten... or you know, make a fangirl happy.