Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mysteries and magic; Visions fantastic

Another lovely day in LA today. But this time I am heading to Disneyland. My friend Jen and I are going there to Watch Fantasmic tonight. We both really love this show. And as great as World of Color is, it's no match for Fantasmic for me. I've loved Fantasmic ever since I was a kid and dad or mom would my sis and I to Disneyland once every few years, usually for a birthday or when we had family from out of state visiting. Fantasmic was one of the things we would do. And it was always so cool to see Mickey defeat all the villains, especially Maleficant when she turned into a dragon.

Fast forward to when eventually we didn't go to Disneyland all that much, I think it was like a ten year gap when we finally went back. I remember they were still building what would be known as Disney's California Adventure.

And then fast forward once more to when I was working at Barnes and Noble. and a bunch of them planned to go to Disneyland and I was invited too. I remember asking if we can make time for Fantasmic, a little worried that they would say "nah..." cause it's not that good. But to my surprise and delight they readily agreed. That day passed in a whirl of amazing as I rode a rollar coaster for the first time*, got to get to know the Noble Crew as my friend Kevin dubbed us, a lot better then I had before, and generally just had a blast! Finally that night we all gathered on some steps on the Rivers of America to view Fantasmic. I remember being a little worried that it would not be as amazing as I thought it was when I was 8. And then the familair female voice announcing that we would see if Mickey was strong enough to stop the forces of evil that invade Mickey's dreams and that high pitch note that starts oh so quietly and slowly gets louder till the lights come out of the stage all bright and blinding and Finally, all the lights on our side go out at once with the music... And rewatching the show I had enjoyed as a child. Tearing up when the princesses appeared dancing with their princes, watching the dragon threaten Mickey and seeing Mickey beating the Dragon, to say nothing of his oh so adorable dancing when the show started...

Rewatching Fantasmic was the best Disney memory I have- because the show I loved as a child was not dated or lame. It was, well, fantastic. And no matter what new shows Disney puts out, no matter how much I love watching them, they will never hold a candle to Fantasmic!

*Screamin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

drop me a line and save a kitten... or you know, make a fangirl happy.