Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Somethings are worth getting your heart broken for

Sarah Jane Smith: No. The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends.

So I had a great day yesterday and was all excited about blogging about it... And then I came home. And then I got to pissed to blog so I decided to opt out. My plan today was to post yesterday's blog today but I'm not going to. I'll probably get to it tomorrow.

I found out today that Elisabeth Sladen passed away. She's known to most people as Sarah Jane Smith, a companion to the 3rd and 4th doctor. I know her from when the 10th doctor met up with her again. And the new Whovians loved her so much she not only got a spinoff (that both 10 and 11 guest starred in) but she also made a reappearance on Doctor who in season 4 and as the Doctor was getting his reward before he regenerated.

When I first found out, I was shocked, of course, and a little sad. Sarah Jane Smith was a great character and Elisabeth Sladen a fantastic actress. But then it sunk in and "a little sad" turned into almost crying in the middle of the street. The stupid things people think about when confronted by death started to pop up:

"what's the doctor gonna say when he finds out?"
"who's gonna look after k-9 now?"

Even in the brief moments I knew her, Elisabeth Sladen WAS Sarah Jane Smith. And I'm sad that the Doctor and she will never meet up again.

A friend on Facebook noted that she only knew of SJS through the new DW series. She hasn't watched classic Who or the spinoff but she was still really sad and couldn't quite understand why. I myself am in the same boat so I wondered too.

I commented: she was connected to the Doctor's past. She was special to him, so she became special to us.

Sarah Jane Smith. Elisabeth Sladen you will be missed. So much. Goodbye.

1 comment:

drop me a line and save a kitten... or you know, make a fangirl happy.