Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hanging with friends and buying shoes!

So today, I went out to get Brunch with Liz and Cassandra. We had a good day today, I had eggs, bacon, avocado and toast. We went to this small cafe in Hermosa Beach that I'd never been in, I almost got pancakes cause when I first walked in it smelled of syrup and it smelled good!

Afterwards since we still had time before Cassandra had to go to work, we went to Whole Foods cause Liz wanted a pair of Toms Shoes. If you don't know, Toms Shoes is a company that makes shoes from vegan and organic materials. But their big thing is their One for One movement. For every pair they sell they will donate a pair to children in 3rd world country who needs them. They're the reason Tuesday was "A Day without Shoes" Where they encourage us to go a day without shoes so we can get an idea of what the rest of the world has to deal with.

I've known about Toms Shoes for awhile, although it seems like they're just recently hitting the mainstream media. My sis is a big supporter of them. But when she first told me an=bout them, she showed me their cream colored ones and i just didn't like them. I completely supported what the company was doing and hoped they get a lot of people to buy, but they just weren't for me. So when we went today so Liz and Cassandra (who also wanted a pair) I was just gonna go to hang out.

So there we were and Liz and Cassandra were trying to find shoes that fit in a color/pattern they wanted, which was a bit difficult, cause hey're not sized like normal shoes, and Toms suggest going 1/2 a size smaller cause they'll eventually stretch. So while we were trying to find sizes that fit, I got kinda curious so i decided to see what size what fit and how they'd look on me, and... as I'm sure you guessed... they looked kinda nice on me. The style I picked was all wrong though, so then I was going right along with Liz and Cassandra trying to find a size that fit in a style I wanted. I wasn't a fan of the patterns but non of the colors were in my size. In the end though, I did find an olive pair one size smaller that i can fit on my feet. The best part was that when the three of us found pairs for ourselves and headed to our cars to go to REI we all threw off our shoes and quickly put on our new Toms Shoes! Actually wearing them now, they aren't as tight as they were at first, and they're quite comfortable. I still love my chucks and those may always be my favorite style, but Toms are quite nice too :)

After Whole Foods we went to REI cause Liz wanted a larger water bottle and to look at backpacks. And since all three of us are rather outdoorsey even Cassandra and I were happy to go even just to look. REI is a store meant for campers, backpackers, bikers, etc, etc. They're a bit pricey, but the best thing about them is their stuff is incredibly durable, and they have a truly legit lifetime warrenty on their products. I know friends who have been able to return extremely beat up and old hiking shoes and replace them with new ones. anytime I'm there it just makes me want to head for the mountains or the desert and camp for like a month. :)

Afterwards, I dropped off Liz at the Honda Dealership so she can get her car from getting serviced and I headed home. But now I'm leaving again cause Liz, Robin, and I are going to cook a vegan meal! As a hardcore carnivore, this is gonna be new for me.

DFTBA

2 comments:

drop me a line and save a kitten... or you know, make a fangirl happy.